COVID-19 (coronavirus): Latest advice for the Bond community.

Authors, University copyright surveys and the Copyright Agency

January 16, 2015

The Licence

​As you may know Bond University has a ‘statutory licence’ with the Copyright Agency Limited (CAL) which allows the copying of print and graphic works for educational purposes within limits. The CAL licence, as it is known, provides a system for university staff to reproduce copyright material for Bond University students without needing to seek permission from the copyright owner. This licence is also known as Part VB of the Copyright Act and the University pays a substantial annual licence fee for the benefit of the licence.

The Survey

Under the CAL licence the University is obliged to participate in a ‘Copyright survey’ every few years which requires selected faculties and departments to record the photocopying of published and unpublished work every day for up to twelve weeks. The University commenced a Copyright Survey on 8 December 2014 which continues until 1 March 2015 and during this time the Faculties of Business and Health, Sciences and Medicine, Sustainable Development and Architecture from FSD and various administrative units are being monitored.

Authors who have their work reproduced during a survey receive the benefits.

In essence the survey is held to gather information what copyright materials are being reproduced so authors can be identified and receive remuneration from the CAL. This remuneration is drawn from university, school and other collected licence fees. The record keeping is not excessively onerous as the staff in the selected units only have to record published and unpublished material that is photocopied, i.e. copied from paper to paper. It is the published ‘copyright’ material that interests CAL and it is the author members of CAL that benefit. Bond University academics as writers are potential recipients of CAL payments and if you are an author you may like to consider becoming a member of the Copyright Agency. Further information on becoming a writer member is available on the Copyright Agency website.